March 27, 2012

One Amazing Country


I have had a strong desire to travel for as long as I can remember. My theory is that there are so many amazingly gorgeous places out there why not try and see them all? Last year around this time, I was lucky enough to get the opportunity to travel to Europe. We went to Ireland, The Netherlands and Spain; needless to say that that trip did not help my travel fever. The Australian Outback, the mountain in Austria where my Opa’s family is from all the way down to bio diverse the Galapagos Islands and Brazilian Amazon, which all ring in near the top of my list.

Until yesterday there was one other country that I hadn’t given much thought to travelling. It was one that was increasingly closer to home; in fact it has been my home for my life so far. That’s Canada for those of you that don’t know me very well. 

Last night I watched a movie in my geography class called “Over Canada: An Aerial Adventure", the whole movie was basically a bird’s eye view of major landmarks and important features from across the country set to music of the particular area. Before the movie got going, my friend Margaret (http://discoveringfreedoms.tumblr.com/ ) and I thought that a movie with few words the entire time might put us to sleep, but we were so wrong.The whole time we were just captivated with the gorgeous scenery and it really
opened my eyes to what an amazing country I live in. 

Peggys Cove, Nova Scotia

I have always known that Canada has a lot to offer on the nature side of things but never was very excited to explore it more; I have always just given visiting other countries a higher priority. But I think that will change in the future. That is not to say that I will not love every minute of traveling to Botswana in September but I realize I have a lot of my own country to see before I keep adding more destinations to my list. 



Mount Robson, BC
The Highest Point in the Canadian Rockies

Have you had any experiences, overseas or here, that have made you appreciate your country even more?

Or have you travelled anywhere in Canada that I should add to my list?

15 comments:

  1. I have always been someone to travel overseas before Canada but I am sure there is a lot I have been missing out on! I should take this into consideration!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your response, you should check out the video, I think parts of it are on youtube :)

      Delete
  2. Great to hear you have come to the realization that we live in a BEAUTIFUL country! reaching nearly 10 million square km its no wonder! Diversity is extreme as the country side changes drastically throughout as do the attitudes and lifestyles. I have spent time in most of Canada's provinces but a road trip across Canada to see Manitoba and Saskatchewan is next on my agenda. I really want to spend some time on a Native Reserve too. Funny thing is my family is more concerned about this (of course a solo mission)than they were about Kenya.

    Food for thought... you mentioned wanting to travel all around the world. Do you think this will change once you spend time with the people in Botswana? Moving from tourist to international humanitarian?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is really funny to see the differences that your family feels between you going to Kenya verses other areas in Canada. That would be actually something very interesting to look more into, the different perceptions that people have of different groups of people in different parts of the world compared to our own. Do you know why they are more concerned?

      I think part of me will always want to travel but I think that my ideas about traveling will change after my time in Botswana, I am not exactly sure how they will yet but I guess only time will tell.

      What was it like when you got back from Kenya? I am not sure what your perspectives were before but did your opinions change for you after you got back?

      Delete
  3. Rocking stuff! I really like the part about Canada.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've only ever been as far west as Ontario (in Canada) but to the east the only place I haven't had a chance to see is Newfoundland. I do have a spot to add to your list though - Cape Breton Highlands National Park (The Cabot Trail)... and pretty much all of Cape Breton. From what I remember it is absolutely gorgeous, but last time I saw it from a car and next time I go I would prefer to see it from a canoe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Out East is actually next on my list of places to see in Canada. It just looks so gorgeous! Oh in the video it flew over the Cabot trail and to did look amazing! Oh I am so down to see it via a canoe with you! Next big Canadian adventure?! :)

      Delete
  5. i found this very...zazzy :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad you found it Zazzy! :P Hope your ankle feels better soon!

      Delete
  6. If you want to see as much of Canada as possible given only a week or two I would suggest taking the train. There's a train that goes straight from Toronto to Vancouver, or you could make stops along the way in major cities (http://www.viarail.ca/en/trains/rockies-and-pacific/toronto-vancouver-canadian). It looks like a really cool experience. You get to travel across most of Canada and see all its natural beauty, and you can do it in the comfort of a hotel-type room. I'm highly considering doing it myself, hopefully in the near future!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have actually looked into this exact train a while ago! I have heard only good things about it. Although I have heard it can be somewhat expensive but if you go to the Via Rail website there is a section and its called express deals and they often have these tickets up to 75% off, which is awesome and even more incentive to go :)

      Delete
  7. I'm still thinking about going up to Yellowknife for a couple months, I think it would be incredible!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm not going to lie. My experience in the United States made me very happy to be back in Canada! I don't know what it is, I guess I can't completely say I dislike the states, especially since I have not seen very much of it.

    I agree with David, you should definitely check out Cabot Trail (it is on my list too!)
    Also, here is the book I was telling you about the other day. There are sooo many cool things to see in Ontario. It makes me want to road trip all over the place!


    "Top 100 unusual things to see in Ontario"- Ron Brown
    http://www.chapters.indigo.ca/books/Top-Unusual-Things-See-Ontario-Ron-Brown/9781550464757-item.html?ikwid=ontario&ikwsec=Books

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That book looks awesome and to know that all those things are all relatively close to home. I want to road trip so bad, and the nice thing is you do not have to worry about visas or passports.

      Delete
  9. Kelsey

    I totally agree that Canada has so much to offer, and places within it should still be regarded as good travel destinations. I also really want to go to the Cabot trail. These are some places which I have enjoyed visiting in Canada:
    - Bay of Fundy (especially the Fundy Bay Footpath and the Flower Pots)
    -Bruce Peninsula (water and rocks are gorgeous)
    - Galiano Island (a part of the gulf islands near Vancouver Island)
    - Various lakes and rivers in Ontario and Quebec as I love paddling including Temagami, Algonquin Park and the Missinaibi-- close to Waterloo- the Grand River is really nice to paddle
    - Old Quebec city

    Some places that I want to travel to include:
    - Newfoundland
    - Killarney
    - one of the Territories
    - Cabbot Trail
    - Victoria Island
    - Saskatchewan

    I feel as if Canada has such beautiful scenery to see and visit, that it is important to see before and in combination with other places. Along with aiding here as well as abroad.

    -Susie

    ReplyDelete