November 12, 2012

The Hottest Week Yet


This past week was easily the hottest and most uncomfortable so far. The average temperature was probably 39 with a few days easily hitting 42. I knew it was going to be hot when I signed up for to come to Botswana, but little did I know it would be this hot. It makes every task you do take longer and requires to much more effort.  
Heather and I took part in a GIS workshop Thursday, Friday and Saturday to learn the basics of GIS. It was very interesting because I never ued GIS before. The only downside was that it was in a small trailer, there were 8 of us all together, 4 computers, no air conditioning and it was at least 42 outside and so much hotter in the trailer.  On Friday I drank 2 litres of water and had 2 glasses of juice and 2 cans of juice and had to go to the washroom only once because that is how much I was sweating. Sorry if that was too much information for anyone, just trying to illustrate a point.

On Saturday it rained and so it was much cooler (probably around 25) and it felt like heaven! I know November is the hottest month and I keep telling myself it will soon be the rainy season and a bit cooler but sometimes it is hard.  
I used to think that I was a person who preferred to be too hot as opposed to too cold, but I have changed my mind on that front. To hear that there is frost and snow at home, makes me so jealous and that is definitely not something I thought I would miss. It is funny how perspectives change; in Canada I would say a nice day is when there are a few clouds in the sky and the sun is shining but in Botswana, I classify a nice day as a cooler overcast one and its even nicer if you through some rain in there too.  

No comments:

Post a Comment